Sunday, June 27, 2010

Happy Birthday, Mom

Here is a tribute to Mom that Deanna wrote for her ward newsletter on Mother's Day:

Mom was never the woman trying on dresses at the mall, getting a pedicure at the salon, or pasting photos in a scrapbook. My mom could be found mowing the lawn, canning green beans, and hanging laundry to dry. (According to her, the only good thing about wind was that it dried the sheets quickly and made them smell sweet.) She clipped coupons, shopped sales, and made do with what she had. She was the woman who delivered meals to the sick, tended children---her own and other people's---planted a garden, mended torn clothing, washed sticky faces, put off getting a perm for "just one more week," and fell asleep reading bedtime stories. She never had a career, wrote a novel, got her nails done, or bought designer clothes. She balanced the checkbook, wrote letters, baked birthday cakes, and doled out hot bread and jam when we came home from school. She gave hugs, shared laughs, offered encouragement, and never stopped believing in the worth of her children. After nearly 88 years of living, she still prays for, works with, stands behind, cries over, and cheers on all ten of us. Happy Mother's Day, Mom (Happy Birthday). Because of you, I still hang my sheets out to dry when the wind blows.

---In honor of Lorraine Whitby Strong, my sweet mother and the woman I most admire and want to be like.

Thank you, Deanna, for such a wonderful tribute to our mother.

6 comments:

Dean Strong said...

I couldn't have said it better!

dallin said...

I love Grandma. I don't get to see her much living so far away, but even the short times I do get to be with her she shows her love. One memory that will stay in my mind is when I came for Grandpa's funeral. I know she had a long hard week and could tell she was exhausted. Physically, mentally, emotionally drained. I had an early flight out and had to get up at some crazy early hour of 3:30 or 4:00 AM to get ready. I got up and found Grandma in the kitchen getting breakfast ready for me before I left. I felt bad and told her she should be in bed getting rest. She just said " I would just lay there awake worrying about you." Grandma is always serving others, even when she is the one who should be getting service.

Ronya said...

I love everything that is said about grandma because it is all true!! I am blessed to be apart of this family and have wonderful women to look up to and try to be like... I hope I am half the she is! love you grandma
Tanya

Amy E. said...

Thanks, Deanna for that and Natalie for posting it. We are so blessed to have such a wonderful role model when our world has such conficting views of what a woman and a mother should be. Thanks Grandma!

Brenda said...

What a wonderful tribute to a wonderful mother! I love you, mom!

Karebear said...

That was beautifully written. What a terrific woman to look up to!!